The AHSS originated from a number of heritage professionals and enthusiasts who came together in 1956 to respond to the threatened demolition of Edinburgh’s George Square.
Thereafter known as the Edinburgh Georgian Society, there proved to be a great need for a Society such as this to protect the historic buildings within Edinburgh.
Shortly after forming as the Edinburgh Georgian Society, the organisation’s members were consulted on heritage issues Scotland wide. In 1959 it was decided to broaden the geographic coverage and become the Scottish Georgian Society with regional groups.
After a number of years, the need to protect buildings from all periods was realised and in 1984 the organisation became the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland.
…as told by the Society’s founding member Eleanor Robertson.
Major campaigns over the years have included a number of national landmarks, the objection to the proposed stone cleaning of the Scott Monument on Princes Street, Edinburgh is one such example. The Society felt that this project would have been very damaging to the structure and aesthetic integrity of this highly important monument. Our campaign was a great success, as the strikingly gothic, blackened structure shows today.
In 2014 the Society moved our National Office to new accommodation at 15 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, with the Royal Incorporation of Architects Scotland. We are delighted to have settled in Sir Rowand Anderson’s former home and hope to be here for the foreseeable future. Visitors are very welcome at any time, but do be warned that we are located at the top of three flights of stairs!